The Mermaid's story

This week we have been studying an aboriginal journey story called ‘The Mermaid’s Story’. We have used drama, role play, hot-seating and role on the wall to understand this story. Next week you will be writing the story from either the Old man, his family members or the Mermaid’s point of view. We will publish our stories and do some aboriginal art to provide illustrations for our books.

Please watch the story again at home and make sure you are clear on the main events.

http://www.abc.net.au/dustechoes/dustEchoesFlash.htm

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtEv5F7UzA4&hl=en_US&fs=1&]

23 thoughts on “The Mermaid's story

1. Today we had to be story tellers and retell the story abot the mermaid.We were like Cat Weatherhill.We were fantastic.We are going to record some and put it on the blog so have a lookout for them.

2. I had lots of fun telling the storys about the mermaid. I think I remember mine.

The Mermaid
    Go away!” yelled his family.” We don’t need you here” ” Just go away”
    Unloved, unwanted, unappreciated, the elderly man trudged towards the rocky edge of the glimmering waterfall. He was stepping on crunchy, brown leafs. It was like someone was eating crisps. Then he saw a gap of light, it was like the aged man was loaned into a trance. Suddenly he saw a viberant, scaly tail moving in front of him. Before he realised anything he was dragged into the cascading waterfall…

His brain went blank. He didn’t know what the thing pulled him into the water. But then he realised that he was swimming with exquisite mermaids. They cared for him, they loved him and they appreciated him. They also listened to his wonderful songs. They were like his own family but when he closed his eyes shut he saw a vision of his family. They were saying come back, where are you, we miss you. Please come back. They were all crying. Tears rolled down the mans face, they were like raindrops falling from the sky.

He couldn’t resist the sight of his family being unhappy. Then he realised it was time to go back home.

The song man had a lovely time being with the mermaids. But it was time to go back home. So he asked one of the creatures in the water to take him back to land. So they did and there was a stripy, feathery bird waiting for him.

The bird lead the man back to his cosy home. When his family saw him, they rapidly ran and gave a huge hug. They hugged him so tight that he couldn’t breath.

From that day on the song man and his family were never apart. This story is an aboriginal story and I think the mermaids were the spirits of the song mans family. We hope you enjoyed this story.

1. Riya- This is a beautiful retelling of the story. I particularly love your 3ed sentence. Would you like to be recorded reading this story out ad then we can put it on the blog?
      I also think you should show your story to Mrs Hadley as I think she would love to hear it.

3. When we rewrite the story I want to right in the point of view of the mermaids. I have also found some wow words which are:

Homeless Mesmerised spellbound
    wide-eyed enchanted spellbinding
    fragile charmed bewitched
    helpless meldoic scorned
    gifted swift despided
    weary elderly abhorred
    troubled breezy
    faithful bristling

I have tried choosing word that might come in handy whilst writing the story. I have also used some of these adjectives to write some sentences based on the story.Heres one:
    Bewitched by the beauty of the three spellbinding mermaids the elderly man edged closer to them.

4. I am really intrested in this topic.I just wanted to thank Miss Martindale and Miss Griffths for making our lessons fun and exciting.You are the best!Thankyou!

5. I find learning about the aboriginal stories really fun and exciting. I think you will be impressed with my story!!!

6. I liked doing about the mermaid story I found it thrilling and fun.This is one of my favorite sentences from my story,I decided to take a rest under a tree I fell asleep for awhile I dreamed of meeting mermaids they had lucioues long hair and a voice of an angel, what do you think of my sentence.

7. I like writing aboriginal stories.

I am looking forward for aboriginal art.

I am really enjoying this topic on Aboriginal Stories.

Thank you Miss Martindale and Miss Griffiths.

You are exceptional teachers.

I have really enjoyed Year 4.

1. I have also enjoyed the Aboriginal topic Amanveer.In a way it kind related to history,because the Aboriginal people lived thousand’s of year’s ago.

8. I really enjoy doing aboriginal stories and I have made my blurbs for the stories.I’m writing 2 stories.1 from the mermaids point of veiw and the oter one is for the mans point of veiw.

9. I have made up sentences to. Exhausted, concerned, tierd i walked along the rusty path as slow as a snail.
    Suddenly, my glance fell upon a blooming tail shimmering in the moonlight.
    The eldery man was wrinkly like he was in the bath to long.
    My faimly were crying there eyes out.
    Did you like them? please give me feed back.

10. Anisa one thing you are not ment to put your surname on the blog you are ment to put Anisa 4G.

ok

11. I know Miss Martindale told us nit to put our surname while commenting on the blog. Miss Haywood came into our class saying that some people had put there surname’s on.

12. So did I Amanveer I love year4 it is my best class I have ever been in thank you Miss Matindale and Miss Griffiths.