Bearwood Bank

[slideshow]This week we have all been employed in the Bearwood Bank. It has been tough work and we have met some demanding customers!! We had to be smart and wear ties whilst we were working.

Lots of customers have come into the bank wanting to know the balance of their account. We have had to work out the balance using informal methods for multiplication or the grid method.
For example, Mr Jones wanted to know how much money he would have in his account after paying in £45 each week for 16 weeks.

Some experienced bank staff have prepared a staff training video for others to help them with their work. It will be on the blog shortly.

We have now received some important emails from customers. The manager says we have to answer the customers problems tomorrow.

Here are a selection of the emails. What calaculation will you need to use to help each customer? (Remember QUACK!)

1)
Dear Bearwood Bank,

I have got a new job as a chocolate taster at The Wonka Factory. I am going to be paid £17 per hour. How much will I receive each day if I work for 9 hours?

Yours Sincerely, Miss G Reedy

2) Dear Bearwood Bank,

I have a bank account that has a balance of £678. I am going to spend £225 on a new laptop. How much will I have left?

Yours Sincerely, Mrs Pattni

3) Dear Bearwood Bank,

Last week I had £345 in my account. I have paid in a cheque for £258 which I received for my birthday. What is the new total?

Yours Sincerely, Mr Butty

21 thoughts on “Bearwood Bank

1. i think it was a really amazing lesson today and i loved been bank manegers and custemers and it also helps me to solve questions

2. Im nealy thir on my grid method i gus tneed to practice my times tabel and and some i will get this challging grid mthod.

3. Wow it looks like you all had great fun. I’m loving the tie’s. It is great the you have had this experience, especially writing cheques.

4. I love that you all wore ties to ‘work’ and set up a realistic school bank! Was it tricky working out what calculation you need to do to help each customer?

I teach year 4 and I’m definitely going to do this during the spring term when my class’ topic will be enterprise and maths. Thanks for inspiring me year 4 and Ms Martindale!

5. I have got to say that would be my favroite lesson in a long time and I really enjoyed todays work. I was not actually working in my book because me and max were told to act out that we were the customer and bank manager and work out the balance of money in their account to make a dvd to train the other staff. And yes Dalip the glasses do look quite funny!