The Piano By Serena

Imagine a piano that brings back memories , imagine somebody who has nobody left, imagine the sadness and grief loneliness can bring. This is a story of a piano like that.

I have arthritic, bony fingers and wrinkly skin. My hair is a grey-white colour and I’m can hear my grand-children playing in the garden whilst I’m playing my shiny, oak grand piano.

I remember going to and Elvis Presley concert and dressing up as a rock star with a blonde, long, puffy wig and crazy clothes which shimmered with the stage lights. I could hear the crowd cheering and the loud sound of the guitars and drums. I could feel the vibrations of the music shaking me like mad. I could smell the smoke from the smoke and confetti cannons. I could see people dancing; especially couples dancing to Love Me Tender and Elvis Presley singing his lovely songs.

I remember my dear wife Ann on our wedding day; she looked stunning in her wedding dress. I could hear the wedding bells ringing their classic tune. People were cheering after the kiss and as we walked down the aisle. I could taste the sweet wedding cake and bitter red wine. I even remember holding Ann’s delicate hand as we walked out of the ceremony. The scent of the fresh flowers was heavenly. I had butterflies in my stomach along with it twisting and turning in my tight suit. I felt the lace of Ann’s dress as I touched her waist. I’ve never been happier since then.

Playing the piano, I feel so lonely, because I should be playing this tune with Ann. My grand-children; Aymathest, Jake, Paul and Kaylee, are all playing in the garden still, and hopefully they don’t turn out like me. They’re all I have left.

I remember my old dog Prince. He was a big, beautiful German Sheperd. He was a good pal. We always used to go for walks round the park. His bark was a deep, gruff bark which always scared people! His soft, silky fur always comforted me when I was down. One weird thing about him was his disgusting, sloppy saliva. I wish he was still here, sitting by my side.

Oh Anne, I wish you were here! I loved you so much and now you’re gone. We always used to play the piano together side by side. I could touch your soft hand everyday and smell your sweet perfume that you always wore. Everybody dies, but why couldn’t you live for a little longer? I love you Ann; why did you have to go?

Right now, pear-shaped, salty tears are rolling down my cheeks like a mini waterfall. As long as my heart beats,  I’ll play this tune and remember all the memories that will stick with me for as long as I live.  All I have left are my grand-children , and I love them.

2 thoughts on “The Piano By Serena